21 May 2008

When was....

....the last time you bought a CD, and what was it? For me, The Killers' Hot Fuss in the summer of 2004. At my work, a media company, we get sent a shit ton of CDs all the time. Samples from record labels, DIY bands, international distributors, you name it. Suffice it to say, while our playlist is pretty wide, most of the stuff is, for lack of a better phrase, crappy stuff you never heard of.

Well, once a year they truck out all the CDs and people can pick and choose as much as they want. Surprisingly, no fights broke out - I mean, free CD giveaway at a company where a bunch of passionate music people work?

The reason behind the lack of fights? It's amazing how selective you'll become even if stuff is free. I found myself deliberating and pondering as I held two CDs, both of which from bands I have never heard of. How did I decide? I chose the one with the "cooler" album cover.

Now I could dive here into a tangent on the sad state of the world where no album art exists, but it's already been done by smarter people. I think what struck me most about the moment is that it brought back all the hours I have spent from ages 12 - 32 just flipping through CDs and records, looking to find a gem. Digital music may be a boon, but there's nothing like a great record store - thank god for record store day!

Enjoy this below, but rue the demise of the record store:

Hot Fuss

No comments: